IBM® Worklight® and IBM Mobile Foundation are open standards-based mobile application foundations, which enable accelerated delivery of innovative mobile solutions. As elements of IBM MobileFirst, they help you build rich, cross-platform applications using standard technology, and connect mobile applications to a variety of enterprise back-end systems and cloud systems.
IBM Worklight V6.0 delivers an open, comprehensive, and advanced mobile application platform for smartphones and tablets, offering:
- Mobile application development and delivery
- Complete end-to-end mobile device management
- Advanced connectivity to back-end systems and cloud-based services that is optimized for mobile devices
- Advanced application management for updates push and version control
IBM Mobile Foundation V6.0 is a member of the IBM MobileFirst family of products that include IBM Worklight V6.0, IBM Mobile Application Platform pattern V6.0, IBM EndPoint Manager for mobile device management, and IBM WebSphere® Cast Iron® for connectivity. Together, these products help organizations of all iszes extend their business by providing copabilities to efficiently implement, connect, secure, and mangage HTML5, hybrid and native mobile applications.
IBM Worklight helps you by:
- Using standard technology, such as HTML5, the native client platform software development kits (SDKs), and integration with the growing ecosystem of third-party tools, libraries, and frameworks
- Connecting mobile applications to back-end systems and cloud services through mobile-optimized middleware
- Enabling you to manage a portfolio of applications and the lifecycle of their content from one centralized administration console
- Helping you secure mobile applications through numerous protection mechanisms, such as encrypted storage, online and offline authentication
Enhancements in IBM Worklight V6.0 Include:
- Automated functional testing for accelerated delivery cycles of native and hybrid, cross-platform mobile applications
- New advanced IT analytics for application usage insight, triggering of actions based on analytics events, and location-based services such as geo-fencing
- Improved application development and testing abilities to record and run tests of mobile applications on devices and emulators
- Expanded mobile operating system support, including support for new levels of iOS, Android, BlackBerry, Windows 8 and RT, and Windows Phone 8 in addition to third-party software support updates for JQuery Mobile and Dojo Mobile
- Easier, more guided, hybrid application development, with tools and building blocks such as improved Dojo Mobile setup and screen templates
- Improved application startup performance
IBM Worklight V6.0
IBM Worklight is designed to provide an open mobile application platform for developing, deploying, and managing mobile applications on an open extensible platform. Enterprises can deliver mobile content that takes advantage of existing enterprise security, scalability, management solutions, and service-oriented architecture (SOA) service investments.
Worklight is based on open standards, which may help you protect your mobile investment, reduce development costs, and avoid technology lock-ins. Worklight delivers a range of application development and management capabilities to support a wide variety of mobile devices and mobile application types, while taking advantage of existing technologies, skills, and investments.
IBM Worklight V6.0 provides five main capabilities:
- A comprehensive, cross-platform, standards-based extensible environment that maximizes code reuse and per-device optimization.
- Includes a rich, drag-and-drop, WYSIWYG development environment
- Helps to simplify the development of mobile web, hybrid, and native applications across multiple mobile platforms, including iOS, Android, BlackBerry, Windows, Windows RT, and Windows Phone
- Mobile-optimized middleware that provides a services layer to support back-end integration, version management, security, and unified push notification mechanisms.
- Supports Mobile Application Management (MAM) and mobile authenticity check, mobile usage statistics, and reports
- Facilitates authentication framework integration for single sing-on (SSO)
- Extensible libraries and client API’s that expose and interface with native device capabilities, such as the camera, accelerometer, and contact lists, using standard web skills.
- Provide on-device, synchronized, and encrypted storage facilities for storing sensitive data on the device
- Administrators can remotely disable applications based on predetermined rules of application version and mobile device
- Directs users to a new version of the application, if necessary
- Can deploy new versions of an application’s web code and automatically push the versions to users
- Administrators can monitor the push notification framework and enable or disable notifications to specific applications
- Administrators can access reports describing application adoption and usage, or integrate with the enterprise business intelligence (BI) system to perform custom analytics on mobile usage data
- Can function as an enterprise application store by providing a place to deploy mobile applications across platforms with appropriate access control and role based security
- If you want to deploy mobile applications to the IBM Endpoint Manager for Mobile Devices, the process of moving mobile applications from development with IBM Worklight to production deployment with IBM Endpoint Manager for Mobile Devices is simplified
The following products integrate well with IBM Worklight and IBM Mobile Foundation solutions to deliver unified front-end and back-end mobile development:
- Rational® IDE V8.5.1 products
- Rational Application Developer for WebSphere Software
- Rational Software Architect for WebSphere Software
- Rational Developer for System z
- Rational Developer for Power® System Software
The following products provide specific support for IBM Worklight and IBM Mobile Foundation, and provide a more robust solution:
- IBM Mobile Development Lifecycle Solution
- Rational Requirements Composer
- Rational Team Concert
- Rational Quality Manager
- IBM Worklight
- IBM WebSphere Portal
Prerequisites are mobile operating systems that include iOS, Android, Blackberry, Windows RT, and Windows Phone and IBM PureApplication™ System V1.0 for IBM Mobile Application Platform Pattern. In addition to this, the program will run on AIX®, Linux™, Mac OS, and Windows operating systems.
The planned available date for the media packs is July 19, 2013 and the electronic delivery packages have been available since June 14, 2013.
IBM Worklight V6.0, together with the additional products from IBM’s MobileFirst initiative, enables you to address the entire lifecycle of your mobile initiative.
For more information on Worklight V6.0 or TxMQ IT Solutions and Staffing please contact Miles Roty, Senior Account Manager? [email protected] 716-636-0070 ext 228